7.4. Data Visualization Project¶
This lesson reinforces the data skills learned in the previous lesson by having students work in pairs to explore a data set of their own choosing. Students are required to develop hypotheses about their data and then test them by using Google Spreadsheets and Google My Maps to create visualizations.
The Student Lesson: Complete the activities for Mobile CSP Unit 7: Lesson 7.4 Data Visualization Project.
- Computer lab
- Access to Google Drive and Google Maps
7.4.1. Learning Activities¶
Estimated Length: 90 minutes
- Hook/Motivation (5 minutes): Explain to students that they'll be using what they learned in the previous lesson to explore a data set of their choosing with a partner. Lead a short brainstorming session on what data might be available publicly, encouraging them to think about who collects data (government, science, etc.)
- Experiences and Explorations (55 minutes):
- (5 minutes) Remind students of the process to generate hypotheses - first form a question about their data set and then put it in to the "If ___, then ___" form.
- (10 minutes) Give students some time to explore the data sets linked in the lesson plan and to start developing questions and hypotheses.
- (5 minutes) Review how to download and import different kinds of data sources such as CSV files.
- (35 minutes) Students should work in pairs to develop visualizations for their hypotheses and then write their portfolio reflections. Class presentations may also be made.
- Rethink, Reflect and/or Revise (10 minutes): In a whip around format, ask students to give an example of how working with a partner helped them gain new insights into their data projects.
The College Board's AP Classroom provides a question bank and Topic Questions. You may create a formative assessment quiz in AP Classroom, assign the quiz (a set of questions), and then review the results in class to identify and address any student misunderstandings.The following are suggested topic questions that you could assign once students have completed this lesson.
Suggested Topic Questions:
- Topic 2.3 Extracting Information from Data
- Topic 2.4 Using Programs with Data
- Note: Solutions are only available to verified educators who have joined the Teaching Mobile CSP Google group/forum in Unit 1.
- Quizly Solutions
- Portfolio Reflection Questions Solutions
You can examine students’ work on the interactive exercise and their reflection portfolio entries to assess their progress on the following learning objectives. If students are able to do what is listed there, they are ready to move on to the next lesson.
- Self-Check Exercises:
- Portfolio Reflections:
LO X.X.X - Students should be able to ...
- In the fusion table visualizations, look for:
Differentiation: More Practice
7.4.2. Professional Development Reflection¶
Discuss the following questions with other teachers in your professional development program.
I am confident I can teach this lesson to my students.
- 1. Strongly Agree
- 2. Agree
- 3. Neutral
- 4. Disagree
- 5. Strongly Disagree