Before you keep reading...
Runestone Academy can only continue if we get support from individuals like you. As a student you are well aware of the high cost of textbooks. Our mission is to provide great books to you for free, but we ask that you consider a $10 donation, more if you can or less if $10 is a burden.
Before you keep reading...
Making great stuff takes time and $$. If you appreciate the book you are reading now and want to keep quality materials free for other students please consider a donation to Runestone Academy. We ask that you consider a $10 donation, but if you can give more thats great, if $10 is too much for your budget we would be happy with whatever you can afford as a show of support.
7.5. Data Map App¶
This lesson has students build a complex data map app that uses two files for data, a geojson state features file and a spreadsheet with data about each state.
The Student Lesson: Complete the activities for Mobile CSP Unit 7 Lesson 7.5: Data Map App .
- Presentation system (LCD projector/Interactive whiteboard)
- Access to computer, laptop, or Chromebook (install the Companion app on Chromebooks)
- Access to mobile device with the Companion app installed or access to the emulator installed on the computer or laptop.
- Data Map App Tutorial (video or text version)
7.5.1. Learning Activities¶
Estimated Length: 45 minutes
- Hook/Motivation (5 minutes): Watch the preview video.
- Experiences and Exploration (30 minutes):
- Tutorial Walkthrough (15 minutes): Have students follow the tutorial for the Data Map App.
- Extensions (20 minutes): Students should attempt the extensions as time allows.
- Rethink, Reflect, and Revise (5 minutes): Review the concepts of data visualizations in maps and using files. Students should complete the self-check exercises and portfolio reflection questions.
The College Board's AP Classroom provides a question bank and Topic Questions. You may create a formative assessment quiz in AP Classroom, assign the quiz (a set of questions), and then review the results in class to identify and address any student misunderstandings. The following are suggested topic questions that you could assign once students have completed this lesson.
Suggested Topic Questions:
- Topic 2.3 Extracting Information from Data
- Topic 2.4 Using Programs with Data
Assessment Opportunities and Solutions
Differentiation: More Practice
Background Knowledge: TinyDB
7.5.2. Professional Development Reflection¶
Discuss the following questions with other teachers in your professional development program.
- How does this lesson involve abstraction?
I am confident I can teach this lesson to my students.
- 1. Strongly Agree
- 2. Agree
- 3. Neutral
- 4. Disagree
- 5. Strongly Disagree