I would like to acknowledge the following reviewers for their helpful comments and suggestions.
- David Anderson, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Robert Beezer, University of Puget Sound
- Myron Hood, California Polytechnic State University
- Herbert Kasube, Bradley University
- John Kurtzke, University of Portland
- Inessa Levi, University of Louisville
- Geoffrey Mason, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Bruce Mericle, Mankato State University
- Kimmo Rosenthal, Union College
- Mark Teply, University of Wisconsin
I would also like to thank Steve Quigley, Marnie Pommett, Cathie Griffin, Kelle Karshick, and the rest of the staff at PWS Publishing for their guidance throughout this project. It has been a pleasure to work with them.
Robert Beezer encouraged me to make Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications available as an open source textbook, a decision that I have never regretted. With his assistance, the book has been rewritten in PreTeXt (
pretextbook.org), making it possible to quickly output print, web, PDF versions and more from the same source. The open source version of this book has received support from the National Science Foundation (Award #DUE-1020957).