1.1. Welcome to Mobile CSP¶
This unit is meant to be reviewed by instructors prior to the start of classroom teaching with students. Some of the lessons include activities with accompanying lesson plans that should be completed the first week of class with students.
Teacher Branch vs. Student Branch
Content in this branch is specific to instructors, including lesson plans and pedagogy. In the companion, student branch, the actual Mobile CSP content is presented. You can have your students register for the other course themselves and use it during the school year.
Some teachers find it easier to review the Teach Mobile CSP lesson first, and then complete the student activities. Some find it more helpful to complete the student activities and then review the accompanying lesson plan here on the Teach branch. It is entirely up to you which order you review them, as long as you are looking at both the student and teacher branches.
Unit 1 Outline
In this unit, you will:
- Learn about the course structure and content
- Review materials provided by the College Board
- Sign up for email and discussion groups
- Use the discussion board and hangouts
- Complete tasks on the student site:
- Learn about Mobile CSP (slides)
- Complete a sample programming task
- Create a Google account and setup a portfolio site
- Setup laptop and mobile devices to use App Inventor
- Review the textbook, Blown to Bits
- Learn about advocating for computing in your school and recruiting students for computing courses
- Understand the Big Ideas in CS Principles and the backwards design philosophy
- Review background readings and other resources, such as the AP Teacher Community